I don't usually call it that though. I almost always say
"the Baby's Room."
This is the bedroom next to ours in the hallway. Until we started painting it was sort of a storage room--but mostly of the things that were supposed to be in there--just not set up yet.
The Before:

(the paint is not that green) The next picture is a much better example, this is the color of most all of my house. It's called "honeymilk" by Valspar at Lowe's and it's a creamy yellow.

February 2010.

Yes. I was not even pregnant when Eric and I started painting. He was hoping to have all paint up before so that I wouldn't have the pregnant excuse not help paint...it didn't work out that way, but I am VERY glad we started so early.
I intentionally did not paint it pink. I wanted it to be a gender-neutral color so it wouldn't need to be repainted. My first thought for a boy/girl color was of course green. But I had to tell myself--you already have 2 green rooms in this house. Pick something else.
So it is Behr's "Mineral Water" from Home Depot. A beautiful light blue.

first coat

MONTHS LATER
Celeste helped me get the tape up. Really she did way more of the work than I did. Especially the more pregnant I got, the more she would say "get off that chair, I've got this."
We had 2 full walls done (from I think 3 different work days) when it finally occurred to me to buy a freaking laser level. OH MY GOODNESS! We got the other 2 walls done in one sitting with that little light. It was wonderful.


One night when I was out Eric wanted to surprise me by getting more tape up. His mom came over to help him and I don't know how long they worked but they got fed up with the level (this was before the brilliant laser level) and went and did my dishes and cleaned the kitchen instead. But Mom Julie left a little note first. =)


Here it is all ready for caulking. I didn't think we had enough blue paint to do the once over thing that people do to seal the edges so we bought painters calk and ran that along all of the edges that would get paint. It sealed it really well and I am so glad we (and mostly that means Celeste) took the time to do it before the paint. It made a big difference on getting the crisp lines I wanted.

DAP painter's acrylic latex caulk. You just run it along the edge of the paint with your finger. Super easy and very effective.

December 3, 2010
Adria playing peekaboo with the plastic drop cloth.

She looks alot like Casey (her dad) in this picture.

We started the stripes. Finally.

This is after the first coat, the yellow needed a second coat and the brown just needed touching up.

It's a beautiful chocolate brown called "Root Beer" by Behr and the yellow is Behr's "Moon Dance."


The beginning reveal. So happy.


And the finished product! I am SO pleased with the result. The walls look absolutely wonderful.

And here is the chest of drawers in it's final resting place by the closet (as opposed to the middle of the room where it lived all year while it was in painting mode).
Those vintage-looking ruffle-y dresses hanging in the closet are all mine. I am not that old but the dresses look like they are from a different time period. I am really excited to put her in them.
Linking up to Thrifty Decor Chick's Before and After Party


3 comments:
It looks GREAT!! I can't wait until that little girl is here so you can actually put her in the room :)
Valette's room turn out wonderful! I'm so glad i got to help :)
i love the gender neutrality of this room! what does your fabric stuff look like? thank goodness for friends' taping help, too!
Post a Comment