Monday, August 23, 2010

Savings

I am behind, but hey, at least I'm getting it up here.

*disclaimer: I am also going to be lazy, I should take a picture, but it is dark out and I don't feel like the extra effort to take a few, load them, edit them AND post them here. So I am just going to tell you. Believe me because you should. ;>

On Monday last week--August 16, 2010--Eric and I went to Fry's grocery store. We had been gifted by our home teacher with coupons for various already sale items, plus the info on Fry's current offer of you buy 8 items from the sale list (any 8, it does not have to be all the same) and you get $4 off. He also told us that right now they are taking all manufacture's coupons at $1 even if it only says $.39 off or $.75, or whatever is written, all at least $1 off.

We spent over an hour at the first grocery store (that's right we went to 2 different fry's, but the second we only bought one set of 8 things that the first didn't have in stock). It was the fullest cart Eric and I have ever had in our two years of marriage. I can remember shopping with my mom and having full carts like that--but my mom was shopping for 9 people, not two! We only bought 3 items that weren't on the "8 set" list, one of which we had a coupon to use.

Totals:

purchased items: 79
subtotal: $176.10
coupon savings: $8
8 item set savings: $85.07
purchase total: $83.03
percent savings: 53%

purchased items: 8
subtotal: $20.12
coupon savings: $3
8 item set savings: $11.08
purchase total: $5.04
percent savings: 74%

Total Savings: $108.15
Average percent savings: 64%

The moral of the story:
We bought $196.22 worth of groceries, and only spent $88.07--less than half. That is awesome. We are proud.

3 comments:

Bree Chandler said...

I dont have two people to shop for, But I def need help learning all this coupon-y stuff!! Thats amazing girl! You are my Hero!

Whitni Watkins said...

OMG I am sooooo impressed. We spend around $100 every two weeks on groceries. I hope my mom knew about this thats incredible!

Jill said...

so cool! Coupons rock. They take extra time, but the rush you get when you see your receipt is totally worth it.