
Jeff Ward, February 2011 Ensign
"I Am a Child of God"
I am a child of God,
And he has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.
I am a child of God,
And so my needs are great;
Help me to understand his words
Before it grows to late.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.
I am a child of God.
Rich blessings are in store;
If I but learn to do his will
I'll live with hime once more.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.
I am a child of God.
His promises are sure;
Celestial glory shall be mine
If I can but endure.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.
And he has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.
I am a child of God,
And so my needs are great;
Help me to understand his words
Before it grows to late.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.
I am a child of God.
Rich blessings are in store;
If I but learn to do his will
I'll live with hime once more.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.
I am a child of God.
His promises are sure;
Celestial glory shall be mine
If I can but endure.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.
Last night as I rocked Valette to try to calm her down I decided to sing I am a Child of God. I have been mostly choosing primary songs whenever I sing to her and this was the first time I picked that one. I was surprised that I remembered the first 3 verses all the way through.
Do you remember in Primary how whenever it was "child's choice" the kid would almost always say "I Am a Child of God?" When I was in Primary I resented this. Again? We always sing that. I guess I wasn't listening very well to the words.
As I sang yesterday I thought about how My Valette is a Precious child of our Heavenly Father. She is so fresh and perfect right now--no sin or transgression has darkened her slate. I thought how Eric and I are responsible for her. We must "lead her, guide her, walk beside her." If she is going to grow up with virtue, if she is going to marry in the Temple, if she is going to be an example to others she must first learn. It is our job as parents to teach her and show her how to live by the standards of the Gospel. I sang again and I cried. I WANT to guide her on the path of righteousness.
Unfortunately Eric and I have a slacking attitude towards the everyday things we should be doing. I can count on one hand the number of official family home evenings that were just the 2 of us since we got married. We are not consistent about our scripture reading or family prayers.
Eric walked in the bedroom and I told him "we are responsible for her." He said yes and I said "How is she gonna learn about prayer if we don't teach her?" So we WILL teach her. We will correct our bad habits. We will grow stronger in our marriage and have a strong family if we do as the prophets have asked and work at it. So yesterday I resolved (again) to be better. To work at the little things I know I should be doing. To be the kind of mother I want to be for Valette and the rest of our someday children. [Maybe writing it here publicly AND in my journal AND now that Valette is here to smarten me up I will do better this time.]


4 comments:
It's a good goal, and a good start. Love that baby girl with all your heart and teach her to be good. I know you can do it! I love you!
Babies are a miracle in more ways than you think (as you are learning)...and what a wonderful thing. You have been taught the ways of righteousness by your parents and now you get to pass it along...also a wonderful thing. Coincidence, I think not. Enjoy every day of it, mama, it's a wonderful journey,
Love you!
You are wonderful parents....you know what needs to be done and you are starting to do it. Remember, it doesn't have to be an hour of reading or a whole chapter right now...it doesn't have to be a long FHE lesson. Do what you can to start the tradition now :)
Love you!!
Casey and I have had similar feelings lately. We are trying to read scriptures with her at night. Its hard but I always feel happy when we accomplish our goal. Just take it one day at a time and keep trying! You are great parents
Post a Comment