Warning: If you've never dealt with kids or messy diapers...you might feel this post has too much information.
Background Info: We do not own a changing table. This has never really bothered me. When Valette was an infant I just changed her in the crib, when we had to move the crib down low we just started sitting on the floor to change her every time. This was not an issue until I got a baby belly. About 3 weeks ago I decided I just couldn't do the floor anymore and I started changing diapers on my bed. Don't worry, I do have a changing pad.
Also, we are not exactly "actively" potty training. I figure we are mostly practicing. Especially because until this week Valette would ask frequently to go potty, but as soon as her bum touched the seat she would say "all done." This made me really frustrated, I had just done all the work to get her undressed (when you are big pregnant that makes this seem 3 times as hard, just sayin) and she was going to sit there at least ten seconds, dangit. Oh, and she almost always refused to let Eric help her with the potty. So not fair. She also never did anything but sit on it. Grandma Julie discovered that if you give her a book (or 7) she will sit there a while. This helped.
In the last 3 days she has asked to go potty almost every time I changed her diaper and then she actually peed a little. It's been very nice to have some progress. We get really excited and after getting dressed again she gets a skittle. She definitely understands the reward candy concept.
Background Info: We do not own a changing table. This has never really bothered me. When Valette was an infant I just changed her in the crib, when we had to move the crib down low we just started sitting on the floor to change her every time. This was not an issue until I got a baby belly. About 3 weeks ago I decided I just couldn't do the floor anymore and I started changing diapers on my bed. Don't worry, I do have a changing pad.
Also, we are not exactly "actively" potty training. I figure we are mostly practicing. Especially because until this week Valette would ask frequently to go potty, but as soon as her bum touched the seat she would say "all done." This made me really frustrated, I had just done all the work to get her undressed (when you are big pregnant that makes this seem 3 times as hard, just sayin) and she was going to sit there at least ten seconds, dangit. Oh, and she almost always refused to let Eric help her with the potty. So not fair. She also never did anything but sit on it. Grandma Julie discovered that if you give her a book (or 7) she will sit there a while. This helped.
In the last 3 days she has asked to go potty almost every time I changed her diaper and then she actually peed a little. It's been very nice to have some progress. We get really excited and after getting dressed again she gets a skittle. She definitely understands the reward candy concept.
Yesterday Valette peed in the potty 5 times. Happy. A successful day for the potty.
The last time was when I changed her for bed. She got her jammies on and we went to get her reward candy. Then I came to the bathroom for my turn. Valette eventually joined me. I have lost almost all bathroom privacy. Even before she was interested in it for herself she started throwing fits if I didn't let her in. Oh the things you give up as a parent. (You know, dignity...pride, that kind of thing.) She started talking about pooping and I realized that she was referring to herself, not me. I asked if she could wait and do it on the potty. I jumped up and started undressing her, I pulled the diaper straight down incase I had been too slow but there was nothing in it. Great, she can use the toilet for real.
So here I am trying to hurry and get her up on the potty, unfortunately we are in my bathroom which does not have her insert chair thing to keep her from falling in. Which means I have to hold her with both hands because she doesn't understand balance. Also, because this was a rush job I didn't get to redress myself. (See? No dignity.) I wait a little bit and nothing happens. I looked down to see that I was wrong before. She had already pooped but it had stuck to her when I took her diaper off. Lucky for me, it had also landed on top of said diaper. Phew. She tells me she has no more and I help her down, and finally get to dress myself.
So here I am trying to hurry and get her up on the potty, unfortunately we are in my bathroom which does not have her insert chair thing to keep her from falling in. Which means I have to hold her with both hands because she doesn't understand balance. Also, because this was a rush job I didn't get to redress myself. (See? No dignity.) I wait a little bit and nothing happens. I looked down to see that I was wrong before. She had already pooped but it had stuck to her when I took her diaper off. Lucky for me, it had also landed on top of said diaper. Phew. She tells me she has no more and I help her down, and finally get to dress myself.
I lay her on the bed and clean her up with wipes, but realize I now have no diaper. So I send her in her room and say "ask Daddy to put your diaper on." Eric was in there doing something on his phone. She asked him but he tells her "I'm busy, ask Mommy to put it on." Eric is completely oblivious to the crazy we just had and he didn't know that I was currently cleaning up the mess in our bathroom, which is why I wanted him to suit her up for me.
She grabbed a diaper and left her room but she has this idea that the best game is getting chased right now. So she did not come to me. When I finished I went to look for her. All over the house. I finally found her in the bedroom next to hers with no light on and she had shut the door. In my head I'm thinking "Great. Isn't there some thing kids have with hiding in a corner while they poop?" She grins when I find her shows me the diaper in her hand and she seemed to be trying to put it on herself. I check around where she is standing (there is not much open floor in this room) to see if she pooped while in there, but I didn't see anything. Her lack of response when I ask if she pooped more makes me suspicious. She thinks it's funny to run away from me (again) so I pick her up to eliminate the choice.
I brought her to my bed again. Only to realize there IS poop on her. And now me. Perfect. So I wipe her up and take her to the potty again in hopes to get it all out for real this time. Then I go back to the other bedroom to look again. Aaaand I find poop in a corner I hadn't previously checked.
Eric volunteers to clean the carpet while I finish with Valette. (He knows darn well this happened because he was lazy before with the diaper.) When she is done for real I help her down and she turns around and accidentally drops her binky in the toilet. Great. Just what we needed. Thankfully she hadn't had to go anymore. She immediately fished it out and I yell "No! That's yucky." I snag it from her and put it in the sink with the hot water running on it. This makes Valette dissolve instantly to tears. She was repeating that it was yucky over and over so maybe she understood but still cried about it.
Eric comes in to see what the fuss is about. I tell him we could decide that's the last straw and have her learn to sleep without one now. But that would mean a few hours of her crying to get to sleep, not to mention losing easy nap times. I'm just not really ready to give that up. Eric has to get up at 5 AM for work and he already hasn't been getting enough sleep lately. It was not the night to learn to sleep without the binky. Don't judge us.
So I told Eric we need to go boil this binky and he says, "No, let's go straight to the source," and points at the rubbing alcohol. So while it's still in the sink I poured some alcohol right on it and then rinsed it. Eric comes back in with a cup from the kitchen, fills it half full with alcohol and drops the binky in to soak. He meant business.
Eric comes in to see what the fuss is about. I tell him we could decide that's the last straw and have her learn to sleep without one now. But that would mean a few hours of her crying to get to sleep, not to mention losing easy nap times. I'm just not really ready to give that up. Eric has to get up at 5 AM for work and he already hasn't been getting enough sleep lately. It was not the night to learn to sleep without the binky. Don't judge us.
So I told Eric we need to go boil this binky and he says, "No, let's go straight to the source," and points at the rubbing alcohol. So while it's still in the sink I poured some alcohol right on it and then rinsed it. Eric comes back in with a cup from the kitchen, fills it half full with alcohol and drops the binky in to soak. He meant business.
Through all of this Valette is still crying sadly. I picked her up and took her to the rocking chair to cuddle while we wait for the binky. She talks about Daddy cleaning it the whole time. Eric comes back with the binky and tells me he soaked it in the alcohol twice and then washed it with dish soap three times and rinsed it really well.
We had family prayers and Eric prayed that we cleaned it well enough and Valette won't get any germs from it. We ought to be covered.
I felt like it was ironic that all of this started one minute after I had texted Grandma Julie about all the success we had had yesterday. And I wanted to write down the story because I'm hoping you moms out there will think it's funny. And I really hope that I can think it's funny after a few days, too.
We had family prayers and Eric prayed that we cleaned it well enough and Valette won't get any germs from it. We ought to be covered.
I felt like it was ironic that all of this started one minute after I had texted Grandma Julie about all the success we had had yesterday. And I wanted to write down the story because I'm hoping you moms out there will think it's funny. And I really hope that I can think it's funny after a few days, too.
So, any crazy stories you can share to make me feel better?




1 comment:
Haha, I don't have any stories as crazy as this one...yet. I'm sure I will though. I guess I did have one instance though, after trying to get Wyatt to go poop and he wouldn't, I stuck him in his bath only to return a minute later and and he pooped in his bath...now THAT was gross. I had to put him in the other shower, fish out his floaties, throw away ALL his bath toys (because they were those squeaky toys that you can squirt water out of and it would've been too hard to try and make sure each one of them were clean) and the I had to bleach the tub. It was an ordeal. BUT...still...not as bad as this...you being pregnant...poop in the corners...binky in the toilet... Just think, one day you'll miss these memories ;)
Post a Comment